Friday, June 17, 2011

Summer begins as my exchange draws to a close

I'm finally done with school!  I got out last Friday.  The last few days didn't really seem like the 'last days' of school.  More like regular school days!  Everyone had been warning me about all the crazy stuff that might happen (that happened in the past) like pigeons getting let loose in school and people bursting into classes and singing.  Instead, it was pretty calm.  There were some people dressed up, such as some in tennis clothes who came into our class and danced, and then later they played tennis in the courtyard using benches as a net, but other than that it was a normal day.  I ate at school for the 'last time' Thursday, then ended up eating there again on Friday.  Friday my final class got over at 10, but I stayed with friends, ate at school, and then stayed a little longer to copy some videos from theater class onto a USB stick.  It was very different from home, where everyone leaves ASAP after the final bell!  Then Friday night my class got together one last time.  We went out to eat at an American Restaurant (yes, that exists!) and it was really good!  I practically started drooling over the menu.  Their big thing was bacon burgers (because bacon is practically inexistant here) but they also had lots of other yummy, American things.  I had a chicken quesadilla and it inspired me; tonight I'm making quesadillas for my host family.
 
In the last week of school, there was a magician who came one day in Philosophy class.  He showed us lots of his tricks and he showed us how some of them are done as part of the course on Illusions.  Most of the time, even after he showed us what he was doing we still didn't catch him in the act!  It was really cool.  Unfortunately for my class though, that was the only lesson we got about illusions.  Guess what one of the subjects was for the bac? 
 
Wednesday afternoon, I took the train to Grenoble to meet up with Sophia.  It was really great to see her!  We ate at her host sister's (for the week) house, and then went to a mall.  We were with all of the other girls in her class and their host sisters at first, or rather for the tram ride to the mall, and then we split off and did our own thing. 
 
Since then, most of my friends have been studying for their Bac, which started Thursday.  I've been keeping busy though, doing stuff around the house and around town and seeing certain people who either don't have final tests or who manage to take a break.  I've been grocery shopping with my host mom, hanging out in town with a friend, then we made supper at his house, reading, playing piano.. pretty basic summer stuff!  Yesterday I was shopping with a friend, and we were going to go to her house and swim afterwards.  Instead, it started raining really hard and it ended up raining all afternoon.  But that's okay, we still had a good time. 

Two weeks from today, I'll be getting on a train to go to Paris, and the next day, I'll be home.  So, I'll see you all very soon!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You'll be home soon! You have made the most of a great experience! I'm proud of you! We'll have to do lunch!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment!